The Music's Over

but the songs live on forever

Died On This Date (May 26, 1977) William Powell / The O’Jays

Posted by themusicsover on May 26, 2010

William Powell
January 20, 1942 – May 26, 1977

William Powell at left

As one of the founding members of the O’Jays, William Powell helped create a sound that would entertain and inspire countless fans and ultimately land the group in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. He left the group due to illness in 1975 and died of cancer on May 26, 1977, but not before helping make several hit records.

What You Should Own

Back Stabbers - The O'Jays

9 Responses to “Died On This Date (May 26, 1977) William Powell / The O’Jays”

1. Don Berry said

I didn’t know what happened to William Powell or why he left the ojays now I know RIP William ps I would like to see their old video clips back when their was 5 members in the ojays back in the 60′please help thank you

2. rkey said

I would like to see their old 1963 album.

3. Marcojays said

There are only 2 songs that you can see of the O’jays sixties
    years called ” girl machine ” and ” lipstick traces ” filmed on
    the Shivaree show .You can just saw ” lipstick traces on youtube
    site.

4. mikeh said

I have all of there 60′s music including there “commin through” album.

5. Berni Grifin said

I have been looking up the Jays for various reasons on iMDB etc. What an awful tragedy, they were absolutely fab, they made such brilliant, brilliant music. I know it’s nearly 34 years on but I was a kid in the 70′s but danced to their music at my youth club here in the UK.

6. Norma said

I was just talking to my daughter in Phoenix Az. She was driving past a club in the Phoenix area and the billboard said the O’Jays were playing. She didn’t know who they were nor did I so I looked them up and found this site. So, just so you know, as of 11-4-11 they are still performing.

7. v-doll said

Thank God for Unsung!!! I jus found out that William Powell died of cancer back in 1977. I was only 9 years old then but I wonder what had happen 2 the handsome light skin guy who sing with the o’jays.

8. Janice Fails Gregory said