The Music's Over

but the songs live on forever

Posted by themusicsover on December 23, 2009

Dan Hamilton
June 1, 1946 – December 23, 1994

Dan Hamilton on left

Dan Hamilton was the founding lead singer and guitarist of Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds, a soft-rock band who came to prominence thanks to a string of hits during the ’70s.  Before the formation of the band however, Hamilton found some success as a songwriter, penning “Diamond Head,” which was a minor hit for the Ventures.  Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds formed in 1965 as the T-Bones, the backing band for Hamilton’s brother, actor Judd Hamilton who had just been signed to Liberty Records.   In 1970, they signed their own deal and changed their name to Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds.  It was then they began releasing such hits as “Don’t Pull Your Love,” and “Fallin’ In Love.”  In 1993, Hamilton suddenly developed an illness that baffled his doctors.  He went from a physically active man to one who had difficulty walking and doing most other physical activities.  It was eventually determined that he was suffering from a rare hormone disorder called Cushing’s Syndrome.  Dan Hamilton was 48 when he died as a result of the condition on December 23, 1994.

55 Responses to “Died On This Date (December 23, 1994) Dan Hamilton / Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds”

1. Usafbrat said

Danny is on the left, Joe is in the center and Tommy is on the right.

2. Karen Davenport said

Dan Hamilton, A beautiful man with a beautiful voice. Gone way to soon! Miss him very much!

3. Debby Robertson said

I loved this man. It is such a shame we lost him so soon! Handsome and had one of the best voices I have ever heard!

4. Linda Minton said

I was very sad to hear that Dan had passed away. He had one of the most remarkable voices I have ever heard. I still love all of Hamilton,Joe Frank and Reynolds songs and listen to them quite often. Miss you so much Dan. Another great artist taken from us way to soon! He was one handsome man…I agree with Debby.

5. Tony Cortez said

i always wondered about this group if that they were still performing. i had no idea dan hamilton had passed away so long ago! what a shame! he had such a great voice. i still have all there albums and 45′s. they were one of my favorite groups!

6. Renee' said

So sad to hear about Hamilton…always loved this group and all their songs….and he was a handsome man.

7. Lori Britton said

Dan was my second cousin. My mom is his first cousin there fathers were brothers.
    The first time I met him I was seven and my family and I were going over to Dan’s brothers house to see Dan who was in Spokane from California. We were late and we missed him “singing” for the family. So he sat me down on the hearth and sat next to me with his guitar and sang “fallin love” to me. That was the year it went gold. Not to long after his visit he sent my brother and I two albums and throughout the years we kept it touch. It was a blow for the entire family when he passed. The service was in Spokane we all attended. Yes he was very handsome and we miss him every day.
    The funny thing about his music is the day we were at his mothers funeral he was still living, we were in the car heading to the cematary one of his songs came on the radio. The same thing happened the day we attended his dad’s funeral and on the way to Dan’s we hear his music on the radio. I am sure it is really coincidence. Though whenever I am struggling I turn on the radio and there is his music. That is what prompted me to look up his name today and found this site.
    Blessings to each one of you.

• Renee' said

Lori…so nice to hear from someone who knew him….so glad you shared your wonderful memory..he sounds like a really nice man.

• themusicsover said

Hi Lori
      Thank you so much for leaving your memories on my site. Nothing makes me feel better than “hearing” from friends and loved ones of those I post here. It makes us all feel a little bit closer to them.
      Vince

• Elvisfan2k said

Dear Lori:
      Thank you for sharing your memories! You must be proud of your cousin for his outstanding and valuable contribution to pop music! He definitely left a legacy that will remain forever! His voice was one of a kind and even though he’s gone, it still IS!
      God’s blessings to you as well!

• L.J. Adams said

Thank you for sharing. Do you know of any videos or anything, where we can actually see him perform? Not just audio. I would appreciate any help. He was such a wonderful singer. He had a very distinct voice. Did he have any children? There’s not much about his life that I can find online. Again , Thank you

• Elvisfan2k said

I don’t know if these will help, but it’s my small contribution to you.
        God’s blessings!

• Lori Britton said

As his second cousin. He and and my moms dads were brothers. He had one daughter for her privacy I do not want to share to much. I know Dan and has wife divorced sometime in the late 70′s and his daughter could be in her 30′s now. We have not stayed in touch after her dad died. I have never seen a video of him and do not know of any. I have a polaroid (yah how old am I) of him and I and my brother. it is in storage when I find it again I will scan it and share it on this site.
        Thank you for all the wonderful comments. I will see if my mom can tell me when he was born and where.
        I was able to find has albums on CD’s on amazon. As I have the records.

• Elvisfan2k said

According to http://www.artistfacts.com/detail.php?id=410:
        “Dan Hamilton was born in Wenatchee, Washington and moved to Los Angeles at the age of 15. Joe Frank Carollo was born in Leland, Mississippi, and Tommy Reynolds is a native New Yorker.”
        I also know that his older brother is actor Judd Hamilton who was born on February 28, 1942 and Dan was younger. Dan’s former wife and musical partner/collaborator is Ann Hamilton-Wallace and she is on Facebook.

• L.J. Adams said

I found another video, it’s under the name “Jim Lovgren” on you tube. HJFR are singing “Don’t pull your Love”. On Solid Gold 1988.

• L.J. Adams said

I found a facebook page for Hamilton Joe Frank And Reynolds. His widow Fredrica Hamilton posted a bunch of pics and info. He was born June 1, 1946.

• Tony Cortez said

he had an incredible voice!…and i love those old songs too… i still have their albums and lori you must a been on cloud nine when he sang to you!….thank you so much for sharing your memories with us!….

8. Gordon said

Some years ago now maybe five years ago I would rarely hear the bands song “Don’t Pull Your Love” on an Australian radio station and I thought what a strange but a good name for a band.
    Anyway years went on until last night being the 29th I was listening to a radio station in America “Magic Oldies 1050 WLON live from North Carolina” and I heard this song again after so many years of not hearing it on Australian radio for a very long time.
    I sang along to it and enjoyed it very much.
    When the song came on also I automaticly knew who it was.
    Then the next day I look up to find some information on the singer and find out he had passed.

9. Jane said

I was quite young when I first heard “Don’t Pull Your Love Out”, probably around 10 or 11, but I remember feeling (even at that young age) so good hearing that voice and that song. Forward 40 years and I’m still into music and singing in Australia and came across this again and, wow, beautiful memories came flooding back to me thinking about the beautiful voice and how much impact it had on me. So thank you, Dan Hamilton, for gracing us with your beautiful voice and memories. I am so sad that you weren’t able to stay around to continue your amazing career.

10. L.J. Adams said

Thank you, Lori for sharing your memories. I love their music. I was 10 yrs. old when I feel in love with Dan, Don’t pull your love was a hit. I never stopped listening. I didn’t know he had passed away until recently. There is not much on the web about him, no bio or anything. There is one video of them singing winners and losers, but that’s about it. So it is nice to hear from someone who knew him.

11. Don S said

Always enjoy their music…. here is an actually LIVE version … pretty awesome

• Barry said

Here is another video from 1988: [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-ej-CKoog&w=420&h=315 I’m 48 now, like most people here I was about 10 or 11 when they were in their heyday. Dan’s voice is in the exact same register as mine! When I sing along with his songs, I can really belt it out… I’m reminded of another good looking, Dan that was a talented singer songwriter that plays guitar and died too young, Dan Fogelberg. We lost him just a few years ago. “Only the good die young”

12. wendy arbuthnot said

I have loved Dan Hamilton ever since I was a kid. Oh my god, he was sooooooo handsome. I love his voice and their songs. I found the video of “winners and losers, quite awhile ago and I watch it everyday. I just found the video of “don’t pull your love” under the name Jim Lovgren, and now I watch it everyday. Are there any more any where that we fans can watch? RIP Dan. Many, many of us miss you!

13. Vee McDonald said

I met Ann Hamilton Wallace over 30 years ago, and the very first Thanksgiving I spent in Los Angeles was with Ann, Dan, their daughter, Danielle, Ann’s Mother and Father. and my whole family, and to this day July 5, 2012; Ann and I are still the best of friends. I too was also devastated by Danny’s passing, I read about it in the paper., Ann and I had lost touch, but we found each other and we remain very close. Dan Hamilton had a God Given talent. His passing was a severe blow to all of us!
    Baby Baby Falling in Love is a great song, and has been covered by many and I know for a fact that it was written by at that time Ann and Danny Hamilton. God Bless his Family left behind.

14. Zack Smith said

you got to love this ;).

15. This is all true

16. When I was 7 years old growing up in The Carolinas, I was given one of those K-Tel compilation albums you ordered off the TV. One of the “20 great hits by 20 Great Stars” was the song “Don’t Pull Your Love”. It became my favorite song in the world, and I spent hours in front of a mirror pretending to be the band pantomiming that song on my little toy guitar. I mean I spent hours listening and pretending. I went out and bought all their material.

Flash forward to 1991, and I had just moved to Los Angeles (I finally really learned to play guitar, lol), and was trying to establish myself as a record producer, and took a day job at a photo rental house in Hollywood. Joe Frank Carollo worked there part-time, and I had the great pleasure of befriending him, and telling him my story of playing their songs in my little bedroom some 20 years earlier.

He and Danny had just been hired to write and record a song for the Tennessee Dept. of Tourism, but really had no budget to record it, until they could get a demo approved. I had a friend who owned a 24 track studio, and long story short, I was asked to produce a song Danny wrote called “Hello Nashville”, and had the immense pleasure of recording that track with Joe-Frank and Danny.

Now the timeline is a little fuzzy to me, but I believe that was late 91 or early 92. I’m wondering if that might have been one of the last things Danny recorded, because it was not long after that that I had heard his health had begun to fail him…they were the most fun ever to work with, and wrote and played their asses off. They were NOT a pre-fab type band that was so popular in that day. They wrote good material…

I just wanted to say that it was kind of a childhood dream to work with those guys, even if only once. The song was just awesome, and while our session was intended to just be a demo, I think that’s the version they ended up using. I’m not sure…

I’m sad to say that all the cassette copies I had of the song were lost long ago, and I don’t know who, if anyone has the 2″ or the master. It certainly would be a treat to hear it now, so many years later.

At any rate, that’s my Danny and Joe Frank story. :)))

17. Renee' said

Loved hearing your memories Rod…

18. MARK said

I was 12 years old in 1975 and saw them perform “Falling in Love” on the Mike Douglas show. They played it on his show outdoors on the beach. Its was all lip synced and not live. A big gust of wind come off the ocean and blew the cymbals of the drum kit over as they were performing the song. The symbols hit the ground, and you could hear no crash as they fell. Also you could hear the symbols still being played even though the drummer couldn’t reach them being on the ground. I thought that was funny and still remember it plain as day 37 years later. I loved seeing them on TV, and performing. Love their music, it is timeless and classic.

19. Zapata Paul said

Dynamic Voice!

20. A said

Happy belated birthday, Danny! I’m sorry I’m a day late … (my bad)… this is even after I reminded myself your birthday was near in mid May. We love you! Thank you. :)
    Big hug!

21. Roberto said

QUEDÉ COMPLETAMENTE CONSTERNADO CON LA MUERTE DE DAN HAMILTON, EN MI JUVENTUD, AÑOS 70 SUS CANCIOINES ESTABAN EN LO MÁXIMO.
    BELLA VOZ, BUEN RITMO, TODO A LA PERFECCIÓN, CADA VEZ QUE LANZABAN UN HIT, ERA UN ÉXITO SEGURO.
    QUE DIOS LO TENGA EN LA GLORIA.
    ROBERTO

22. Lynette Hamilton said

Just thinking about my cousin today and how much I used to love see him perform here in Vegas. Rest in peace Danny, love you

23. Alf Pastorelli said

Dan Hamilton had a truly unique, remarkable and unmistakable voice.

Many popular (and not-so popular) performers have either tried replicating or delivering their version of the song ‘Don’t Pull Your Love’, but none have ever produced the magic that Dan Hamilton did when he sang it.

Still to this day, this song is alive, upbeat and as popular as when it was first released. It really does have an uplifting effect on the spirit.

And who can forget the song ‘Falling in Love’; another one of those rare, exquisite and touching songs with the Hamilton touch that just sets the mood or want to make you turn up your radio or MP3 player.

The good die young, but the great live forever, and Dan Hamilton is by far, no exception with the latter. Thank you Dan for your gift to the world of music!

• Elvisfan2k said

“Dan Hamilton had a truly unique, remarkable and unmistakable voice”
      Thank you Alf Pastorelli! I SO agree with you: there will NEVER be another Dan Hamilton! One of a kind! (That’s exactly the way I think about Elvis: the one and only!!!)
      God’s blessings!

24. Dan is truly missed in todays music scene. I see Joe Frank is still performing and still sounding good. The good ones always seem to die young

25. Alf Pastorelli said

In memory of Dan Hamilton; who sadly passed away too soon on this day 19 years ago. Renowned as a superb guitarist and charismatic singer/songwriter, his music ingenuity and rich and remarkable voice still inspires the legion of fans and admirers worldwide to reminisce and celebrate his achievements.

Dan, it may have been your destiny to pass away young – but you shall stay young everlastingly in our memories. And because you glowed brightly before his passing, your brightness will shine for all time.

Dan, the song has ended, but the melody lingers on … Alf

26. Jodie Henderson said

So sad ! I just found the video and wanted to see what Dan was up to …. shame on me for not keeping up. Wow …. RIP

27. Gabriel said

I fell in love with Dan’s music. Even though I am so far, in Chile, I listened to his music a lot. And every time I am with my wife it seems his songs are around.

28. R.I.P HANDSOME

29. Ronnie Rush said

Just in case there is digital on the other side, I’ll say that it is hard to believe that the 20 year anniversary [of your passing]is just about here from when you and I were talking. You are thought of everyday, and all you taught me.
    Your friend, and former Roadie, Ronnie

30. I loved that group,Hamilton Joe frank,Reynolds and songs and their songs from seventies. And Dan was very handsome. He was wonderful. Shame he died. I miss him.

31. Tisha Kreutzer-Barela said

I heard Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds song on the Radio tonight and decided to google them…I remembered them from my growing up in the 70's…I almost passed out when I read that Dan Hamilton died of Cushings…it's a horrendous illness that I have been fighting for most of my adult life..I have been afflicted by this sickness since I was about 33-34, I just turned 54…I can only imagine the Hell he went through…it's not a easy illness whatsoever…I have had pituitary surgery in my brain, and seeing a new specialist this week regarding my illness…God Bless you Dan…RIP…I know of what you suffered…God Bless

• Renee' said

So sorry for your illness…I know what you mean…I Googles them and found out about his passing also,,Shocked!!

32. Tohmi Stokes said

I've always love that song; "Don't Pull Your Love", still love it. I thought he kind of sounded like Elvis a bit. He had such a great singing voice and so handsome.

33. Tohmi Stokes said

34. You should be a part of a contest for one of the best websites
    on the web. I will highly recommend this website!